Thursday, August 21, 2014

Week 33: New Perspective on Love

This is probably the most and quickest posting I've done in the last six months! I must admit, I'm pretty astonished about how quickly I am catching up (almost as quickly as I fell behind!). Anyway, I'm about a third of the way through a new book. Let me tell you about it!

The New:
I'm reading a book called the 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman. It is a non-fiction book that basically goes with the idea that there are 5 basic ways that a person can show and feel love, and in order for you to make the most out of your efforts to show love, you need to learn your partner's love language. The five languages are words of affirmation, quality time, receiving gifts, acts of service, and physical touch. I won't go into much more detail about the content, but I will say this: what an eye-opener!

Who would have thought to break it down in such way (well obviously this man, but still)? I suppose it only makes sense, seeing as each of us are individuals and the chances of every human having something in common with every other human is a rare occurrence outside of basic survival functions and emotions and the craving for close relationships with others.

At the very least, this book has given me new ideas to replace my old, tired efforts when comes to showing affection to by boyfriend, and even the people around me. Saying how much you appreciate something they did might not mean as much to a friend or roommate as giving them a hug or giving them something that makes you think of them. When you think about it, it's like "of course there are different ways to show affection" but this perspective puts them into pretty straightforward categories that are easy to understand and put to use. This book, no doubt, added to my knowledge of friendships and relationships, and I'm not even done with it yet!



The Evidence:
I don't have much for you this time in the way of evidence, but I'm sure you understand :)

The Verdict:
This book is short and is written in language that is easy to read and comprehend. If your marriage or relationship is struggling, this book is definitely worth a read! I would highly recommend it to anyone who is in a relationship with someone currently, or ever wishes to be. Also, there is a version of this for children and adolescents, so if you have your own kids, or interact with someone else's kids regularly, that might be worth checking into also.

No comments:

Post a Comment