Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Week 42: New Cookie Decorating

As promised, here is my third post about Christmas treats, but this is definitely the least conventional of them all. A few years back, my mom and I started getting a little crazy in our gingerbread man cookie decorating, and every year we end up getting more creative than the last....


The New:
As I mentioned above, my mom and I took a turn for the less traditional route of decorating cookies, and even though we do this every year, most of the decorating for this year was brand new to the both of us.
Here's the recipe for the icing we used on our homemade sugar cookies:
2 cups powered sugar
2 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
spoonful of butter (optional)
food coloring (optional)
*please note that these measurements are approximate, and we often add more powdered sugar or milk if we want to change the consistency of it

The Evidence:

We started off traditional, with a couple of Santa cookies...


And a surprised gingerbread man. Then we moved on to the snowman, whose foot was made of "yellow snow."


And shortly after that, we almost forgot what time of year it was, as you will soon see...


This is SpongeBob Squarepants and Patrick Star.

This was inspired by my recent "The Walking Dead" binge. Here we have 4 gross zombies, Rick Grimes with his stubble in his cowboy hat, and poor Hershel, with his white beard and amputated leg. After only six cookies, my mom insisted that I move on....

Which led to use creating a cookie that belongs in the Blue Man Group and a prison inmate with an orange jumpsuit and a tear drop tattoo.





The Verdict:
My mom and I have so much fun doing this that I doubt we will ever stop. It has become a new holiday tradition for the two of us. Plus, it beats making 20 of the same cookie. If I stumble across pictures of some of the others we have made in the past, I will be sure to upload them on, as they are equally hilarious in my opinion.
All that being said, I would encourage you to find a new holiday tradition to start with your family, even if it isn't "traditional" :) Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment